Welcome to the News section of the iNSiGHT Ornithology website (https://www.simoncherriman.com.au/). This blog contains updates about various things I've been up to, interesting environmental issues and observations I make regularly while going about my day. It is designed to be fun AND educational, and inspire you about our wonderful natural world. Happy reading!

Friday 21 October 2011

Ibis - an update


Today I revisited the Straw-necked Ibis colony in the Pinjarra region, which had well and truly progressed since mid-September. While a few nests still had eggs, most contained nestling ibis of various ages, including some that were nearly ready to fly. Among those I found was this gorgeous looking creature (har har!). When I first looked at him the saying ‘only a mother could love him’ came to mind. But then I felt sorry for him and began to appreciate the beauty of his spiky hair and delicate wings.

The Black Swan nest was empty and swimming nearby were 5 fluffy cygnets, under the careful watch of the two swans which fluted continuously at my presence. Such richness of life at this amazing wetland.

More photos in the last few pages of this album.

No comments:

Post a Comment