Welcome to the News section of the iNSiGHT Ornithology website (https://www.simoncherriman.com.au/). This blog contains updates about various things I've been up to, interesting environmental issues and observations I make regularly while going about my day. It is designed to be fun AND educational, and inspire you about our wonderful natural world. Happy reading!

Saturday 28 July 2012

Wood Ducks


I climbed the 15 metres into the canopy to inspect this large nest box, installed in a Parkerville tree in 2010. A few weeks ago I’d seen a pair of Australian Wood Ducks perching on a branch next to it. To my excitement the female began laying, making short visits to the box to deposit one egg per day. My last check revealed 4 eggs... but today I was thrilled to find FIFTEEN, covered in beautiful, soft down feathers. These help to keep the eggs warm while the female is off foraging. Fifteen is a typical clutch size for Wood Ducks, but there is a record of more than 20!! However this is likely to be a ‘double clutch’, laid by two females during the same period; all the eggs in such clutches would be unlikely to hatch.

Keep watching this News section for updates on the progress of these wonderful eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment