Welcome to the News section of the iNSiGHT Ornithology website (https://www.simoncherriman.com.au/). This blog contains updates about various things I've been up to, interesting environmental issues and observations I make regularly while going about my day. It is designed to be fun AND educational, and inspire you about our wonderful natural world. Happy reading!

Monday 24 October 2016

Flying with Matuwa Eagles


I am very privileged to have just returned from Martu Country where it's been a busy few weeks conducting the annual Wedge-tailed Eagle breeding survey on Matuwa. This recent research trip produced some really interesting findings - please visit the Wedge-tailed Eagle Tracking website where you can read more about them.

The trip ended with a bit of a disaster (my car broke down and we needed to be towed back to Perth!!), but the images of some fantastic experiences flying with eagles during the aerial nest surveys are etched into my mind, and these remind me that any pitfalls that arose during the trip were worth it to have been able to see these magnificent birds from such a unique perspective! The above photo was taken when this adult launched off a perch and flew below the helicopter.

No comments:

Post a Comment