Welcome to the News section of the iNSiGHT Ornithology website (https://www.simoncherriman.com.au/). This blog contains updates about various things I've been up to, interesting environmental issues and observations I make regularly while going about my day. It is designed to be fun AND educational, and inspire you about our wonderful natural world. Happy reading!

Tuesday 20 December 2016

Another Cockatoo at ECU


The Endangered Ngolyenok / Carnaby's Cockatoo is showing determination to persist in the Perth Metropolitan area, after one of the first records of the species breeding at Edith Cowan University last year. Today ABC News published a great story on the successful use by this species of some of my nest-boxes installed earlier this year. It gives me great pleasure to know when any nest-box I install is successfully used by the target species, but scaling the trees to see cockatoo chicks inside 4 out of the 5 boxes that I hauled into place just a few months ago brought tears to my eyes! Although there are many who believe Endangered species should not be encouraged to breed in the metropolitan area, mostly because of the high number of birds suffering injuries from vehicle collisions, it is my opinion that nesting in such close proximity to high densities of humans creates vital opportunities to engage people in its conservation. A huge reason Ngolyenok populations continue to decline is the ongoing loss and degradation of their habitat, something that West Australian's are obviously happy to see go ahead, owing to their lack of care. The more people we encourage to love and then take action to conserve these magnificent birds, the more chance there is of them flying free in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment